Pages

Sunday 28 October 2012

Up up and away.....

So, like I said last week I have a few project cakes in the coming weeks and toady saw the first: a cake for a farewell party for some lucky friends who are going off on a round the world trip.




So, here is how I did it. I made a 10" square chocolate Guinness cake using 2 quantities of the recipe I used in my first post, and layed it out on a 14" cake board, as you can see in the below picture. I chose to put mine off centre, but you could place it wherever you like on the board.



Next it was covering the cake. First I covered it in a crumb coat of plain buttercream, followed by some light blue fondant rolled out to fit the cake and the board.









Then it was time to decorate it. I cut out some clouds using a stencil image that I printed on the computer, and stuck them on using a bit of cold water and a paintbrush. The aeroplane I made ahead of time using white fondant and a little black for the decorations. Left to dry in a cardboard box it hardened nicely making it easier to place on the cake. Make sure you don't put any fondant decorations in an airtight container as they will sweat and so limp. Either leave them in open air or in a cardboard box to dry.




Some text cut out using an alphabet cutter and placed delicately on the cake along with some suitcases made from fondant and you're done. A simple piece of blue ribbon wrapped and glued around the side of the cake board for a finishing touch.








2 comments:

  1. Lauren you have an amazing talent! All of the cakes you have shown on your blog look completely professional. Well done!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. I made another one last night. Just about to write it up now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily